Thursday, August 19, 2010

Picking Up My Sister's Slack

That is such an unfair title (at least on this day!). But, I couldn't resist.

Anyhow, I have had the real hardship (not!) of picking up my sister's CSA farmshare for the last three weeks while she was out west on vacation with her family.

It has been a blast.

While I'm a total believer in CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture) - and have participated in the past - we haven't in a few years due to a variety of factors. (Rest assured, we support local farmers via weekly visits to the local farmer's market.).

So for the last three weeks, I've been playing the part of a CSA participant. On Thursday afternoons I load up the girls with cool drinks and head for the farm about 25 minutes from our house. The adorable little farm--with a GREAT name. Laughing Stock Farm. Isn't that SO cute? Sometimes I think I want my own little farm just so I can have a cool farm name.


We've had a ball picking up our (I mean my sister's) share (including weighing the pros and cons of our options--we get to select a handful of items from a list). But, even more, we've loved -- really loved -- picking our own flowers. The girls both help. Well, the big girl does. The little one -- well, we try not to lose her in the sunflowers.

After our trip to the farm, we spend an hour or so sorting through and preparing our goods--and dreaming up recipes (stay tuned for goat cheese and roasted vegetable tart we made tonight!) and arranging flowers. My daughter lines up the little containers --mostly mason jars, of course -- and arranges her bouquet ever so carefully.

Oh how sweet summer can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment