Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Countdown to School

Amidst my lamenting yesterday, I didn't mention that I am one of those people who views the start of school much like some view the start of the new year. It is a chance to get off on the right foot. I'm definitely the person who loves to start things with a new set of sharp pencils and a brand new notebook. Oh, how I remember the days of agonizing over what Trapper Keeper notebook to get (oh, and,by the way, my mother was NOT one of those parents that believed in the new notebooks, etc. so there were usually lots of battles on this front). How this will all play out in my daughters' futures is unclear...will they, too, seek a new notebook and shiny new shoes -- or not? But, for now, they are still under my control - I mean my wing :) -- and so I get to decide.

Since I still plan on getting a lot of summer living in these last eight days, I'm going to pace the "getting ready" piece. So for the next 8 days (I hope I won't drive you away with this), I'm going to focus on making the most of the last few days of summer vacation and getting ready for back to school.

Day 8:

To do.
  • Wash backpack. (Sorry, sweetie, we're not buying you a new one -- and I'm going to do my best to make this one look spiffy -- a good wash, a new name tag, and some cool pin or something.). IF you happen to be in the neighborhood for a new backpack, I highly recommend the backpacks at LL Bean--, they are 20% off right now. One of the things I like best (beyond the LL Bean durability, of course!) is the fact that they make a junior backpack. There is nothing that pains me more than seeing a little child with a very big backpack. And, well, you know the adage "build it and they will come", backpacks work much the same way, "buy it and they will fill it".
  • Schedule haircut.I'm thinking she'll learn better if she can see -- and, I'm not going to make the mistake of waiting until the last second when everyone is getting their "back-to-school-haircut."
Have fun.
  • Take a bike ride
  • Picnic outside for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment