Well, I've got the perfect way to celebrate -- because in my world this is actually National Rhubarb Awareness Week.
I know, it sounds odd. But, trust me. Yum. (It also makes a great soda -- which my daughter loves --by mixing the rhubarb syrup with sparkling water.)
(Oh, and for all you I'd-like-to-try-a-rhubarb-margarita-but-just-don't-want-to-go-to-the-effort people, if you happen to live in Maine, you are in luck! I just learned (thanks, Mom!) that El Camino in Brunswick serves them!)
2 cups rhubarb, roughly chopped
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
How to Make Rhubarb Syrup for Drinks
- Wash and chop rhubarb (about 1" chunks worked well for me).
- Place rhubarb, sugar and water in saucepan. Bring to boil, then turn down to simer.
- Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Strain syrup into a large jar (a carafe or pitcher is fine, too.)
- Mix equal parts tequila and rhubarb syrup. Pour over ice (might even try blending?). Squeeze a wedge of lime. Pour in a glass (I recommend a Mason Jar!). Drink. Ahhhh.