Wednesday, June 2, 2010

It's National Leave Work Early Day: Rhubarb Margaritas Anyone?

Don't ask me how I find all these special holidays...but, aren't you glad I do? I mean, who doesn't love the idea of leaving work early?

Well, I've got the perfect way to celebrate -- because in my world this is actually National Rhubarb Awareness Week.

Rhubarb margaritas.

I know, it sounds odd. But, trust me. Yum. (It also makes a great soda -- which my daughter loves --by mixing the rhubarb syrup with sparkling water.)

(Oh, and for all you I'd-like-to-try-a-rhubarb-margarita-but-just-don't-want-to-go-to-the-effort people, if you happen to live in Maine, you are in luck! I just learned (thanks, Mom!) that El Camino in Brunswick serves them!)

Rhubarb Margaritas

Ingredients
2 cups rhubarb, roughly chopped
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
ice
tequila
lime


How to Make Rhubarb Syrup for Drinks
  1. Wash and chop rhubarb (about 1" chunks worked well for me).
  2. Place rhubarb, sugar and water in saucepan. Bring to boil, then turn down to simer.
  3. Cook for about 15 minutes.
  4. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
  5. Strain syrup into a large jar (a carafe or pitcher is fine, too.)
How to Make a Rhubarb Margarita
  • Mix equal parts tequila and rhubarb syrup. Pour over ice (might even try blending?). Squeeze a wedge of lime. Pour in a glass (I recommend a Mason Jar!). Drink. Ahhhh. 

1 comment: