Monday, June 7, 2010

Crafternoon: My New Obsession

Yup,  knitting baby hats, that's my new obsession.

And, I just love this new pattern I adapted (aren't I fancy adapting my own patterns!?!) slightly from this pattern.

Except for the fact that I had to re-do this entirely because my sweet little toddler pulled out some of my first attempt (and, I'm not a fancy enough knitter to know how to fix things...), this was super easy and quick.

Rolled Brim Baby Hat with a Topknot
(size 0-6 months)

What You Need:
  • Size 7 Needles: I used a 16" circular, then switched to size 7 double point needles when I started to decrease.
  • 1 skein of worsted weight yarn. I used a soft acrylic yarn from Michael's called Impeccable in Seaside Ombre.

How to Make:
Cast on 72 stitches
Join in the round, being sure not to twist your stitches. Mark where your round begins, and move along row-to-row.
Knit.
Within a few rows, your knitting will begin to roll (this is your hat's brim).
Knit until your project measures about 4.25" from the bottom of the rolled brim (don't unroll the brim to measure).
Move your project to double point needles.
Begin decreasing as follows:
Row 1: k6, k2tog, repeat around
Row 2: k5, k2tog, repeat around
Row 3: k4, k2tog, repeat around
Row 4: k3, k2tog, repeat around
Row 5: k2, k2tog, repeat around
Row 6: k1, k2tog, repeat around
Row 7: k2tog, repeat around
You should now have 9 stitches remaining on your double point needles (I used 3 at this point.).
Knit until this measures 3 3/4 inches
Bind off.
Weave in the loose end on the "stem".
Tie the "stem" into a knot.
Weave in any other loose ends.
Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment