Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Do-Over-Dinner: Roast Pork Tenderloin with Rhubarb Reduction

Yum.

Years ago, at a wonderful restaurant that sadly no longer exists, I tasted wild boar served with a rhubarb reduction. It was amazing. And, I've wanted it ever since.

Well, this year, I did it. I came up with a rhubarb reduction for pork -- and it won "do-over" status!

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Rhubarb Reduction

What You Need:
1 pork tenderloin
herbs for pork (Herbes de Provence or Coriander, kosher salt and pepper)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 shallot, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 cups of rhubarb, diced
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

How to Make:

  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. Rub herbs (I prefer Herbes de Provence -- but I think coriander would be a good choice as well.) and fresh ground pepper on your pork tenderloin.
  3. Place pork tenderloin in roasting pan and roast until an instant read thermometer registers 145 degrees. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
  4. Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan (I use my enamel-coated cast-iron dutch oven.) over medium heat, saute onion, shallot and garlic with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Saute for 5-6 minutes until tender.
  5. Add rhubarb, vinegar and sugar. Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until rhubarb is broken down and soft. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. (You can use as is - or, I pureed with a blender.)
  6. Drizzle reduction over slices of pork tenderloin. Enjoy.
Optional: Consider garnishing with minced chives and parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment