Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Gearing Up for an Supercharged Outdoor Summer


{photos via naturerocks.org}

Like many parents, I am keenly aware that school is letting out (already out in some places!) across the country.

And, frankly, I'm thrilled at the prospect of a break from making sack lunches and fighting the daily "hurry, up you are going to miss the bus" and "you can't wear that" battles. (Oh, and, of course, I'm thrilled about more time with my kid, too!)

But, I'm also aware that I'm entering a new juggling act....how to work without the regular routine of school...how to help my children have a fun and fulfilling summer...how to balance the constant begging for playdates (because, after all, it has been a year of being around kids all the time) and how to make the most of this outdoor season.


I'm pretty excited to put this relatively new online resource to use this summer. Nature Rocks is a national program that aims to inspire and empower families to play and explore in nature. The website has all kinds of tools like a "Find Nature" activity which enables you to search for a variety of natural spots by zipcode; a "Find Activities" feature which helps to figure out an activity appropriate for you (by age of children, duration of time available and location) -- and even a "Connect" feature which helps you connect with others.

For our little family, figuring out how to "be" in nature is second nature. Still, sometimes it is nice to have a little help thinking about what nature-rich activity to do -- and how to make it even more engaging for little ones.

No matter where you live, you'll find something in your area. Go to Nature Rocks and check it out. And, report back on what you did!

And, if you are looking for some related summer reading, why not check out Richard Louv's Last Child in the Woods -- the inspiration for Nature Rocks.

1 comment:

  1. Great link, Michelle. And I just checked that book out of the library. I plan to make nature time most of the time for my kids this summer.

    ReplyDelete