Monday, May 17, 2010

A New Kind of "Farm Share"

For two decades now, many farms have been participating in Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) -- aka "farm shares".

In recent years CSAs have gained great popularity (dare I even say trendy?) -- which is a good thing, in my opinion.

Here's the general concept. A farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. A share typically consists of a box of vegetables or other farm products (though one of my favorite local Maine farms actually issues your share in the form of a credit to be used on what you want at their farm stand or at the farmer's market). Interested consumers purchase a share and in return receive their "share" of seasonal farm goods throughout the season. It's a win-win, really. Consumers get super-fresh and local food direct from the farmer. Farmers receive money when they need it most--before the product is ready for "market".

My parents participated in a CSA; I've participated in a CSA (when it works for our family). If you haven't participated in one, you should think about it! (Need help finding a CSA opportunity in your area? Click here.)

Well, if you live in Maine, you can now participate in a CSF - Community Supported Fisheries. For $20 a week, you'll have fresh-from-the-boat fish delivered from Port Clyde Fresh Catch (yup, the folks I talked about yesterday) to centrally located pick-up spots in sixteen communities. Get your share today!

Wow - a CSF and a CSA -- what a killer combination. I'm having dreams about fresh fish on the grill served up with local produce....aren't you!?

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Although, I've been soo paralyzed by all the good choices out there and haven't picked my CSA of choice for the season. Whoops.

    Also, last night's NBC Nightly News (aka MY Brian Williams) had a piece on the importance of eating locally...makes you want to sign up immediately!

    ReplyDelete