Monday, May 10, 2010

Bookin' It

So, I wonder, did you know that this is Children's Book Week? (Who does come up with all these recognition weeks? I'm thinking we are due for a "National Blogger Appreciation Day".)

In all seriousness, this week, May 10-16, is Children's Book Week. Since 1919, Children's Book Week has been celebrated nationally in schools, libraries, bookstores, clubs, private homes -- any place where there are children and books. In the 1940s, the Children's Books Council assumed responsibility for administering this week - which now also includes writing contests, awards, and events.

To show my support (and because I love, love, love children's books), this entire week on Maine-ly Home will be devoted to talking about children's books in some fashion or another.

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Hands down, "Where the Wild Things Are" The art. The prose. The message. The monsters who were all based on Maurice Sendak's scary aunts and uncles and cousins...

    More recently, since I started teaching: "Best Little Wingman" Story of snowy nights with a plow driver and his daughter. Beautiful.

    And "Bigfoot Cinderella" for its challenges to gender stereotyping set in a strongly pro-environmental retelling of the classic tale. Funny too!... See More

    Uh-oh, I guess that's three. But asking for one is NOT FAIR!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any of the Mother West Winds by Thornton Burgess - He was a Naturalist who wrote kids books and used personalities for critters to explain nature. Forst was written around 1917.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a tie for me. "Where the Wild Things Are" just makes me cry it is so beautiful.

    But "It's OK to be Different" makes me laugh. Because it is OK to eat Mac & Cheese in the bathtub. (oh, and to have two moms, just an aside)

    ReplyDelete