Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Yarmouth Clam Festival

Each year, on the third weekend of July, the Town of Yarmouth, Maine (along with thousands of volunteers) rolls out its welcome mat with the Yarmouth Clam Festival.

This three day festival includes a fantastic parade (remember, I come from a long heritage of parade watchers...so I KNOW my parades), a wonderful crafts fair (Maine artisans galore!), a carnival, a long list of festival activities (including favorites like firefighter's muster, a clam shucking contest and a canoe/kayak race). And, of course, food. Lots of food, including -- and, no big surprise here - clams, anyway you can imagine. Fried clams. Clam chowder (or, Chow-dah, as it is said here in Maine.). Clam Rolls. Steamers (that's steamed clams for those of you not familiar with the native tongue.)

I've been going to the Yarmouth Clam Festival since I was a little girl. Of course, I've missed some years here and there...but, I have lots of fun memories of this festival -- now celebrating its 45th year!


Will I see you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment