Friday, July 23, 2010

Do-Over Snack: Kale Chips

I know, I know...I've gone off the deep end -- kale chips!?!

Well, I'd read a recipe for kale chips on SmittenKitchen a while back.

Then, I read on Facebook that a friend (nice work Raye!) had made them for her boys and they were a hit.

And, then, while reading WholeLiving I saw that kale chips are being packaged and sold. (New York Natural Spicy Miso Kale Chips retail  for $7.50 for a 3.5 oz container.)

It seemed to me that the universe was sending all kinds of signs to try making kale chips. Kind of a bummer, since while I love most greens, I'm not a huge kale fan.

So this weekend at the Bath Farmer's Market (Bath, Maine), I purchased some kale and set to work. See below for details. Super easy -- and, quite yummy, I thought. (My daughter, however, spit them out.)

Roasted Kale Chips

1. Wash kale.
2. Cut out thick stem.
3. Cut or tear leaves into chip size pieces.
4. Toss kale with olive oil.
5. Put olive oil coated kale on baking sheet.
6. Bake @ 350 for 20 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and toss with salt (or, maybe even some spices?).
8. Eat!

Hint: Do not leave out the kale chips on a humid day. My husband said on day 2, "These aren't chips, they are leaves."

No comments:

Post a Comment