Thursday, April 15, 2010

Do-Over-Dinner: Watercress Soup

Just when I thought all my cooking inspiration was gone...

Just when I thought that a "do-over-dinner" was no longer possible...

...in walks my father-in-law with a bucket of freshly-harvested watercress from a nearby creek.

My Mom immediately suggested watercress sandwiches.

While those little tea sandwiches are tempting (she made a delicious batch for my baby shower a year ago), I had my heart set on soup. So, I searched high and low for a recipe that seemed "just right".

After finding a handful of recipes that were either more broth-y than I was looking for or too laden with cream, I decided to make my own.

And, well, it got "do-over-dinner" status...!

I'm headed out to the secret spot tomorrow to gather up some more watercress...

Recipe: Watercress Soup
About 4 Dinner-Size Servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
  • 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped
  • 3 Cloves of Garlic, Thinly sliced
  • 3 Medium-sized White Potatoes, Peeled and Cut into 1/2-inch Chunks 
  • 3 Cups of Chicken Stock
  • 1 1/2 Cups Water
  • 2 Bunches (2-3 Cups) Watercress (thick stems trimmed), Coarsely Chopped
  • Coarse Salt (Sea or Kosher)
  • Fresh Ground Pepper
  • Lemon Wedges and Greek Yogurt for Serving
Directions:
    1. Heat a stock pot (I use a Le Creuset 7 quart dutch oven--my very favorite kitchen item.) over medium heat. 
    2. Add oil, butter, garlic and onion. Saute until fragrant and translucent (a minute or two). 
    3. Add potato and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook 1 minute.
    4. Add stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender (5-10 minutes depending on how big your chunks of potato turned out).
    5. Stir in watercress. Let simmer 1 minute.
    6. Season with salt and pepper.
    7. Puree (an immersion blender is easiest -- but, if you don't have one, puree in batches in a traditional blender or food processor).
    8. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a wedge of lemon (and, some yummy bread, too!)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment