Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Crafternoon: Featuring My Husband!

I know, I know, it has been much to long since we've crafted over here at Maine-ly Home. Believe me, I'm suffering. But, it's back. And, I'm really pleased to share this "crafternoon" (which was more like a whole lot of early mornings and evenings) with my husband.

Move over, Martha Stewart. Meet my husband.

My crafty (who knew?) husband took a bright yellow plastic kayak and turned it into a totally camouflaged vessel designed for "looking for" ducks and geese.  It wasn't easy.  

He researched what ready-to-buy camo boats look like; he researched options for how to effectively cover plastic (I scored big points when I pointed out that Krylon makes a spray paint especially for plastics--and, wouldn't you know, he discovered they make it in camo colors!); he researched what patterns of reeds and grasses make you most sneaky;  he researched accessories (e.g. clips to attach duck decoys); etc.  
Armed (!) with duct tape (yup, it comes in camo, too!), spray paint -- and his own stencils (yes, he made stencils! I asked him, jokingly, if we were going to use those same stencils to decorate our bedroom. He didn't take it as a joke, so now I live in fear that I might come home one day to be living in a stenciled duck blind.) 

Ultimately, he created his very own, one-of-a-kind, waterfowl-seeking hide-a-way. Pretty, cool, huh?















Now, let's see what he can do with some wool, buttons and a glue gun!

2 comments:

  1. love the way it blends right in to the lawn...great job...could you market these???

    ReplyDelete