Monday, March 15, 2010

Move Over Valentine's Day




It appears that when you are six years old, time isn't measured by calendars, clocks or to-do lists, but rather by holidays. Virtually the minute the clock struck midnight on New Year's Eve, my six year old daughter was already gearing up for Valentine's Day. Honestly, I was a bit stunned since I had been relishing the thought of some holiday down-time.

But, I decided that rather than fight her on this, I'd embrace the whole idea. Now, three or four weeks before a holiday (commercial or religious)or change of season, I'm putting together a holiday/seasonal craft basket. (I'm thinking of doing a separate basket of books.) In large part, I'm collecting things we already have -- appropriate colored pencils, crayons, paper, etc. and then supplementing with a few new things (season or holiday appropriate stickers, for example). The first basket I did was for Valentine's Day -- and it was a HUGE hit. My daughter was cranking out valentine cards and decorations faster than Hallmark.

Now, onto Easter. (I know, I skipped St. Patrick's Day. Truth is, we don't have a lick of Irish in us, so I don't know where to begin. I guess I could have started with green....)

Easter Craft Basket Contents:
-Assorted cardstock in pastel colors (cut in half for
-Easter stickers
-Pastel glitter glue (new purchase)
-Cotton balls (for bunny tails, of course!)
-Glue
-Scissors
-Assorted pastel pens, pencils, crayons and markers
-Some "inspiration" a photo of a bunny, a drawing of an easter egg, Easter-words
-Some holiday-inspired snacks/treats (jelly beans, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment