This week's "do-over-dinner" is as basic and simple as can be--but it wins "do-over" status every time.
Lentils and Rice
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1 1/3 cup uncooked lentils (pick over and rinse before using)
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- plain yogurt (we like Greek-style)
- 1 lemon
- 1-2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute onions until browned (about 8-10 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside. (If you don't like onions, this can easily be omitted.)
- Place lentils in a medium sized saucepan. Cover with water (with a dash of salt). Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes or until beginning to become tender. (I suggest keeping an eye on this as the water can quickly disappear.)
- Add rice to pot. Add enough water to cover both the rice and lentils. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice and lentils are tender.
- Add onions to the cooked lentils and rice. Serve. We serve in a bowl with a choice of condiments -- lemon slices, plain yogurt and tomato sauce.