Monday, March 22, 2010

Grow-Your-Own Easter Grass

A few years ago, I started (with the help of my daughter) to grow my own Easter grass. I haven't totally abandoned the commercial Easter grass in its oh-so-fun colors (though I only buy paper grass, not plastic), but I've begun to grow my own grass in festive containers to use as centerpieces. Someday I hope to be organized enough to grow the grass IN the girls Easter baskets and even possibly in some baskets to deliver to others. But, for now, I'm sticking with a few festive containers sprinkled around the house. It's an incredibly easy project -- and a great project to embark on with kids of any ages. Here's the scoop:

What You Need
  • Potting soil (and a small shovel unless you want to use your hands)
  • Containers (Get creative -- pots, buckets, baskets, Easter baskets, egg shells, etc. Note: If you choose to use a basket or something that doesn't hold water, you'll need to line with plastic or cellophane.
  • Grass seed (I use either rye or wheat grass seed/berries which you can typically buy in packets at a good garden supply store.)
  • A spray bottle
  • A sunny spot
How-to
  • Prepare your containers (e.g. if you use a basket or another container not designed for water, line with cellophane or plastic).
  • Fill your container(s) with soil.
  • Top soil with seeds. Add another 1/4 inch of soil on top of seed layer.
  • Use a spray bottle to moisten the soil.
  • Place in a sunny spot.
  • Over the next few days, keep an eye on your containers, misting soil as needed in order to keep it moist. 
  • In a week(ish), you'll have a container of grass. These containers of grass make a simple and beautiful centerpiece all on their own--but also look cute decorated with eggs, chicks, ribbons, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment