Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Maine Artists + Jars = Love

{a snip I grabbed from The Jar Project}

When I walked into my local coffee shop this a.m. a poster on the busy bulletin board caught my eye. You'll never guess why.

It has a big picture of a mason jar and the words The Jar Project.

Honestly, my heart started to flutter and my knees grew weak.

I know, I have such a wierd obsession with mason jars. I've told you, it's not my fault, it's genetic.

Anyhow...

What is even cooler than the poster that drew my attention is the actual event. The Jar Project. The brain child of Portland-based artist Alex Sax, the Jar Project highlights the creative contributions of 60 artists with connections to Maine. The jars vary in size, color and texture and contain a range of genres and mediums. The jar is a nod to an era "when our lives moved at a slower pace and we had a stronger connection to nature, community and our sources of nourishment. Whether it is canned peaches, pickles, garlic or tomato sauce, or marbles, pennies, seashells or gumdrops, the items in jars add richness and piquancy to our lives, and keep vibrant a pre-technological vision of human existence."

Sigh. My jar love grows.

I'll be checking out the installation for sure.

In the meantime, do you have jars in your house...what's in them?

2 comments:

  1. oh i love this!! i haven't been over for a bit, missed your reads. im going to try "following" again and hope it shows up in my reader this time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post about The Jar Project. Introduce yourself when you come to the show. On March 4 and 5, there will be live music written for the project. Check the website for details.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete