Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Harvest.

After much re-scheduling, we finally carved out time for our potato harvest. For those of you who know me - and where I live - you are probably laughing. I live on less than a quarter of an acre, much of which is shaded. But, I can assure you that we (And by "we" I mean primarily my husband, though I certainly help and give counsel.) take advantage of every square inch of garden-able space. Realistically, this translates into an herb garden, two self-built 8 foot by 4 foot raised beds, and a whole lot of empty pickle buckets that can be moved around as the sun shifts. (While we love many aspects of our in-town life, we do dream often of a farm. And, I'm guessing our neighbors might also wish we'd find one.)

This year, to stretch our gardening space a little further, I suggested we try growing potatoes in bags. Yes, bags. I'd heard you could do this - and, well, we have lots of those reusable Trader Joes and Whole Foods bags, so why not give it a whirl. (Besides, if it succeeded, it could quite possibly end our relationship-long argument about where the best potatoes come from - Maine or Idaho.).

So, we did it. We procured a couple of seed potatoes, two reusable bags, and organic soil. We poked some drainage holes in the bottom of the bags and filled with soil and the seed potatoes. And, we waited.

And, then there was some signs of hope.




And, further signs of hope.


But, only time would tell if there were actually any potatoes in the bag.


At last, it was harvest time. Nervously, we began to dig.


And, then we struck gold. Our first potato.


And, another!

Honestly, we were like kids at Christmas with each potato found. The full harvest amounted to 15 of the most beautiful  potatoes ever. Suffice it to say, they'll be more bags of potatoes scattered about our yard next year.


By the way, all though we can't say yet, I think the best potatoes are grown in Maine. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment