Today marks the official first day of Summer. And, here in Maine, the weather forecast promises a real summer day. Yahoo!
Unfortunately, I'll be glued to by computer working for much of the day.
But, I still plan to enjoy a bit of summer with my girls before the day is done. We'll eat an early dinner outside before heading to a concert at the town gazebo. And, maybe, just maybe, if all goes well, we'll walk by the new, totally awesome in-town ice cream shop.
Signs of Early Summer in Maine:
- Fields of lupine appear everywhere.
- Sea-side lobster shacks open for business.
- People eat outside all the time. (Wander through our town in the evening and just take a whiff of the awesome grilling smells and listen to the laughter - mostly - of families enjoying a meal outside.)
- Skunks appear. (I am generally a very tolerant person. But, I truly hate skunks. I have major issues with skunks. Just ask my husband or my mother.)
- 1 in 3 (I'm guessing here) cars either has a boat trailed behind or a kayak or canoe pinned to the top.
- There are a lot of people "from away" around. (Many years ago, my mom and dad instituted --- after a summer of houseguests nearly every week of the summer -- a rule that no one could come visit in the summer, unless they also came at some point in the winter.)
- People are busily working on their houses and their yards.
- Strawberries are starting to appear.
- Farmer's markets are humming with excitement.
- Rather than asking a friend or neighbor "how are you?" you ask, "how's the garden coming along?"