Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Strawberries, Strawberries, Strawberries!

Late June into the first few days (or maybe a week or so into July depending on the Spring) strawberry season hits Maine. And, oh how delicious it is! I'm not sure what I like more, the experience of picking them or eating them in their various forms. Jam. Shortcake. Blended. Straight up.


Of course, like many things in Maine (except for winter), the season is short-lived and Maine-rs expend a lot of energy trying to preserve this summer goodness to enjoy all year long. I, however, have never canned a thing. I'm totally intimidated by it. I really want to try it - and I think this year might be the year.

On Sunday, the four of us set out to pick strawberries. And, man was the pickin' good. In less than 45 minutes we had picked 16 pounds of some of the most beautiful berries ever. So, while I try to get my nerve up to can, I've already put half of these strawberries to use. I've made six pints of freezer jam (this is SO easy -- so do it!). I've frozen berries for smoothies. I've made shortcake for 20.

We had PBJ sandwiches today with freshly made jam today -- and, it was wonderful. But, I'm still thinking about the wonderful time we had picking.




No comments:

Post a Comment